8.22.2007

another m.i.a. interview, and another reason to buy/subscribe to radar

very interesting interview w/ m.i.a. in the new issue of radar. you can read a little bit of it here.

Have you felt pressure to be less outspoken?
It's a double-edged sword, always. I don't feel lucky that I can't get into the U.S. I guess that's what happens when you choose to say something other than, "My humps, my humps, my humps." Yeah, if you have something to say, you pay the price, but it's an interesting lesson for us all. When I talk about politics, I talk about them as a daughter of somebody who was persecuted because of them. My experience with the government was discovering things like, because of them, maybe my cousin was killed. My aunt was in a refugee camp. My uncle was arrested for selling magazines. These are the stories I heard growing up. I'd hear how my neighbors got tortured to death, my cousin was hung upside down on a van and beaten. So I was always vexed about politics, and then suddenly you watch the news in London and hear that your freedom is being taken away there as well. Not just that I couldn't get on the Tube because bin Laden was going to bomb us, but having to, like, justify all these sodding two-hour airport security checks, and being treated different. I call that shit. It's useless. London is a beautiful, multicultural place, and after the 7/7 bombings it became ruled by unspoken prejudice.
is there anyone cooler in music today? i think not!

3 comments:

tannymc said...

ok so here is a favor that i must ask of you... and if i am putting you out, well, TOUGH NOOGIES. just pick like 5 songs that are necessary for me to listen to in my lifetime.

aaron said...

just 5? holy eff. let me get back to you, herr mclovin.

*******Lacónica******* said...

me gusta tu nombre
saludos desde Argentina